Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Surprises

So this week I don't remember more than a few events but here's the quick run down.

      First, we went to a big hill with an investigator family for fun sliding down it. We raced and had a great time and taught the mom on the car ride back while grandpa drove so she could listen. That was really scary by the way and we almost died several times so the mom decided it was better that she drive from now on. We unanimously agreed. Anyway, the first surprise was that a girl there fell in love with me in like 30 seconds and really wanted to hang out so she invited me over to her house. She's 3 years old by the way, I just think it's funny to make you all freak out for a couple seconds before you read the next sentence. Hahaha!
      Surprise #2! We were invited to an activity with a member that we didn't have much information about but basically what we thought was happening was we were going to go with this grandma member to a neighboring city and teach her friends. We have to skip District Meeting to do this so we feel a little bad but since we'd be teaching someone we knew it would be worth it. Well, it wasn't like that. Surprise! We got there and the member was like, "were actually volunteering to give some people I don't know a tour of this city that I don't know. And they're Filipino so it's in a language I don't know either." So basically she brought us along to give a tour of a city we didn't know to some strangers because we speak English and Japanese. Surprise! We didn't know anything about the area so we found a map and basically just walked around looking for cool stuff. We took them to a JAXA museum, which is Japan's NASA, and it turned out ok. We spent most of the day out walking in the sun which really didn't help with Surprise #3.
      I got food poisoning! First time in my life too. I'll spare the details because it was nasty but I ate something bad, ruminated it in my belly by walking in the sun, got sick, and lost a few pounds. I'm fine now. I slept on the church's couch while my companion and a recent convert taught some awesome lessons that resulted in a family coming to church!
      At church one of the speakers talked about bravery and helping others. It made me painfully realize how selfish and prideful I actually am. Which is fine to know because now I can work on it. I just need to not compare myself to others and instead focus on doing everything I can to help them. It really does help to look out from yourself and your own inadequacies and just focus on what you CAN do to help someone else in need. I've been looking at things wrong recently; focusing on improving myself so that I can help others but putting the focus on myself first. There are things we all can do without having to wait until we reach a certain point. Everyone can start from where they are right now and lift someone in need. There's no rule that says you have to be perfect to do good things. Anyone can do good things that can help someone else. So I just want to make sure that I, and anyone around me, know that we can start making a difference now. Elder Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment