Tuesday, June 21, 2016

What I did besides prank this week ;)

So, you all probably think I'm just a pranky little punk, BUT I have
news for you...
I actually did some missionary work as well this week.

    Once every month we have a Family Home Evening for all the old
folks in our Ward.  We like to go to that.  This week Brother
Nishihara brought a giant jenga game and we all had a ton of fun with
it.  Then we had a super cool lesson about the Spirit.  It was a great
night.
    We went up to HitachinoUshiku to visit Sister Imamura and her cute
little family.  They always love when we come over and share messages
with them.  We usually focus on families with our lessons because they
really like family.  She told us her mom has cancer so, you know just
in case, she wants to learn more about God.  That's great for us!  We
hope nothing serious happens to her besides her changing her
lifestyle.  We're going to meet with her and teach the Plan of
Salvation.
     This week for Eikaiwa we talked about our hobbies and the
students all were very interested in what we did.  They were
especially interested in my life for some reason because I moved a lot
and lived in Okinawa.  They just kept asking questions about Okinawa.
I told them about my volleyball parties and snorkeling trips.  They
thought it was amazing.  It felt really good to tell the students who
I was and that even though I'm a missionary, I'm a person too.  They
have this image in their head that members have nothing in their lives
except the church.  While we should have pretty much everything
related to the church somehow, we aren't always sitting in the chapel
memorizing scripture masteries.  We're supposed to go out and do good
for others and apply what we've been taught.  We need to be in the
world but not of it.  We are full time members so we don't just take a
break after Sunday, but we do everything with Christ's name in our
hearts with the purpose of bringing others closer to Christ.  I don't
know if I'm rambling or not, it made sense in my head, but I just
wanted to show them that you can be a Mormon and still do things.
Mormons are regular people, they're just regular people who know who
they are, where they're going, and how to get there.  I hope they were
able to learn a little from me, especially since it was my last time.
     Oh yeah, I guess I just gave it away but I'm transferring.  I'm
going to Kisarazu in Chiba.  I'll be with Elder Purba, my old
apartment mate.  He was in my first area, Sakado, at the same time as
me.  Anyway I'm really excited to be working with him.  I have one
more day here in Ushiku and then I'll be getting on a train to
Kisarazu.  Elder Furniss is transferring too to the same zone and
we'll be on the same train together.
     The three most awesome teaching experiences his week would
probably be: 1)working with our golden investigator Kaoru, 2)Tajima
being cool, 3)Visiting the Comba Family.  So Kaoru-san is a lady who
comes to our area on the weekends to visit her dad and learn English.
However, after teaching her a lesson as English practice she has grown
to have an interest in the gospel.  She really wants to learn more and
we're excited to teach her.  I wish Elder O'Connor the best of luck, I
think she'll get baptized.  Tajima was recommitted to live the Word of
Wisdom and he's been doing great.  He's also trying to live like a
member so he came to all of church and he even wore a white shirt and
tie.  He's never done that before and I was very impressed.  We
visited the Comba family and we have a good relationship with them.
They're such an amazing family.  We invited them back to church and I
really hope they come.  We also invited them to join the Book of
Mormon challenge with us.  Read the Book of Mormon starting 6/23
ending 9/14.  I'm looking forward to the challenge and I know anyone
else who does it will have a great experience.
     That was about it.  It was a great week.  I love you guys, take care.


Elder Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment