Monday, October 2, 2017

The miracle of sacrifice

Well I feel like I just wrote to you all yesterday and that I've already told you all of this but maybe that's just me. Things have been speeding up recently. This is already week 2 of the Transfer.
   
      As far as events for the week go, not much happened. We didn't really go anywhere. We just stayed right here in Kisarazu. We did have a Family Home Evening with some of the Branch members and it was way fun. We picked the song and prepared the lesson and chose the activity but we had Umetsu Shimai run the show and bring the snacks. We talked about how are bodies are gifts from God and we need to take the best care of them possible, then we gave them donuts. Lol, missionaries.
     Now I'll talk about the miracle of sacrifice everyone wants to hear about. Last week Saturday we went with Takashi and Wenting to the temple in Tokyo for baptisms for the dead. It was such a great experience right before the temple closed and Takashi really liked his first time. After we got done with baptisms we went out for a day in Tokyo. I wanted everyone to have fun so I had planned on treating them to a good lunch and stuff. Well because Wenting is Chinese and she can't go onto American soil unless she asks 30 days in advance we had to change plans and I felt bad. So I took them to a different restaurant that I knew was really good and I'm friends with the owner. We went and got some really good Turkish food and then I rushed to pay for everyone. I got the missionary discount but it was still expensive to pay for everyone. I still wanted to make it up to everyone so I bought them some ice cream too. I didn't tell them how low I was on cash, I just wanted them to have a good time. So I went back to the American hotel and bought them some American snacks from inside. Then I was really low on cash. They tried to pay me back but I told them it was my treat and I'd get blessings for it so not to worry. However I knew I would probably go without some food on a couple of meals that week because of it. But hey, they're my best friends and how often do you get to go to Tokyo and show them a good time? The answer is once in 2 years as a missionary. So I figured it was worth fasting a little, fasting is good for you anyway, right? Now my mom is worrying that I'm an idiot but it really wasn't that bad. I would've been able to survive until the end of the month when I got my allowance.
      Anyway, I was fully expecting the blessings received to come in the form of them being happy for that day. I was right and wrong. They were very happy that day and we all had a great time. BUT, what I didn't know was that God would take care of all my needs because He takes care of His missionaries. I did not go hungry this week. In fact I was fed so much I started to worry about my health a little bit.
      First we were invited over for lunch with our friends the Padpads before our Japanese Lesson. They gave us all you can eat Filipino food. Then that same day we were invited to a wedding reception at Bamboo Grill. We got there and Jun, the owner, had set out a spot for us at the bar with a ton of food. He told us to eat as much as we wanted and then the groom had us eat some more after that. While there we talked to the chef, a nice young and handsome Filipino guy named Lee, and became friends. He actually had interest in missionaries and opened up to us enough that we found out he's looking for purpose in his life. He became a new investigator. When Jun saw that we were serious and actually worked even at a party he came over and gave us another referral on the spot! The next day I still had no money and couldn't buy groceries but Jonivar invited us over for lunch. We made a feast together and it was so good! He stuffed us until we couldn't move and then we just sat there and taught him and AB Lesson while we recovered. After that Lee invited us back over to Bamboo Grill and while we talked he made us some Chinese and Filipino food. I didn't have the money to pay but before I could even say that a lady sitting in the restaurant said, I"ll pay for those missionaries! Let them eat as much as they want! What!? That never happens! We got free food again! The Sugimotos invited us over for dinner. We had Family Home Evening and the Tandas brought actual food without being asked. They just said, we thought someone might need this. Missionaries, do you have food? How did everyone know!? On top of that this Sunday our fruit basket was overflowing so members had to stuff the fridge full of stuff for us as well. Miracle after miracle after miracle! How!? I'll tell you. God rewards us a hundredfold for every good thing we do. I bought a couple people lunch ONE time, I was fed for a week. Why did that happen? Because God really loves all of us. He knows our circumstances and our needs and He is so eager to help us. He can set anything up He wants to and He set me up to be in the right place at the right time with the right people so that I could get my food for the day....for a week.
      God really does care about even the little things and the little people. He knows and loves each and every one of us. I know that's true. I know He lives and that He has given me this opportunity to go on a mission so I could get closer to Him. I'm so thankful for running out of money and food so that I could see once again how much my Heavenly Father loves me.

Elder Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment