Monday, September 18, 2017

Two missionaries walked into a bar....

Let me start the week with an unexpected miracle.
     We had Splits again in Tateyama and Elder Matsuda and I were eating lunch at the mall. Taki Shimai called me and asked if I could visit her kids that night at 5 because she was doing temple work and was worried about them. She wasn't asking for much, just to go visit the kids and make sure they're ok. That and she's a good worried mom so I told her I would do it. We had the other Elders teach the English class and we went back to Kisarazu to check on the little angels. They were fine, especially when we had brought candy. Because we changed plans and went back to Kisarazu we didn't have English class and we didn't have to ride a long train back home at night, which turned out to be a miracle because Liu was available to talk right at the time we would have been stuck on the train! That was set up pretty nicely. We called her on LINE and did a video chat Lesson. We taught her the Plan of Salvation and she had already read the pamphlet we gave her but she said it was different when she studied it with us. It had an impact that wasn't there before. She says the lessons are helping her find peace and hope and we set a Baptismal date with her for November 5th, my last Sunday! I'm so excited for her!
     Thursday we had Emergency Splits with Chosei because their companionship unity just went down the toilet. One of them was just feeling so bad and depressed that President Nagano decided he should work with me for a day. Yeah, like that'd help. Lol. He's done that a couple of times though. Anyway, they had a powwow with President and Sister Nagano that night and it turns out that all of these bad feelings hinged on a big misunderstanding because one of the Elders is Australian and speaks English and the other is Japanese. The Japanese Elder misunderstood one thing his companion said and it had a bad impact. When President Nagano heard about the misunderstanding he explained the whole thing to them both and Sister Nagano just laughed really hard. That's why PMG says to study your mission language and English. So you can have at least one language to communicate with your companion. Lol.
      Oh yeah, the bar thing. So when I first came to Kisarazu over a year ago a Less Active Filipino man approached me at the supermarket wanting to talk to missionaries again. Well, he started talking to missionaries after I left and has been in contact with them since. He owns a bar (which isn't a sin or against church policy actually, I checked. Crazy right?) and wanted to meet there. It's actually just a restaurant that serves alcohol so we went and visited him.....and took 2 Recent Converts with us. Haha! Yeah, 2 missionaries walk into a bar, AND bring their Converts with them.....to see the owner who is ALSO a member! A whole bunch of Mormons hanging out at a bar. What a sight. No one else was there so it was just a restaurant for a while. The. This other guy walks in for a drink and starts talking to us and becomes friends with us and starts hearing about our church! We were proselyting in a bar! Like Jesus going among the sinners. Anyway, that was a fun story but the best part was that the owner told us the reason he wanted us to meet was because he had a Filipino family that just moved here and needed help. So we are teaching them English and invited them to church to meet our Filipino members and learn and they said yes! They are coming next week! God works in mysterious ways. (I hope my mom doesn't freak out and think I've gone apostate).
      And that brings us to today. But I'll actually start with yesterday. Yesterday we heard there was supposed to be a big typhoon today. Today we were planning on going to Kamogawa and spending our Pday with Takashi, Wenting, Tai, Liu, and Kin and having Family Home Evening with them since they're all YSAs and the Branch asked us to. If a typhoon came we'd still go (as long as the trains were still running) because everyone planned a month in advance to get today off but it would suck. So I prayed the typhoon would go away or speed up and blow over last night. Well, it sped up and blew over us, then turned away north. So yesterday it sucked because it was windy and rainy while we still had to work but today it is beautiful and sunny! So we get to go have fun! I'm so glad God cares about us and the little things we like enough to move storms and so on. I love the Mission and all the amazing lessons I can learn about God first hand here. I'm so excited for my brother Dallin to get his mission call soon!
Elder Rogers

By the way you can see Fuji from where I live on a clear day

No comments:

Post a Comment