Monday, August 28, 2017

Easy as Apple Pie

So last week I already wrote about but I want to talk about one thing that happened after I wrote that email.
      I got to meet up with Jonivar on my Pday the night before my 20th birthday. He's one of my recent converts and he's amazing! He's so full of love and light and such a kind person. Anyway, we wanted to spend some time with him especially since he was about to go on a work trip and it was almost my birthday. So we decided we'd go to the Outlet Mall and grab some grub together. We were walking around and he kept trying to buy me some clothes or anything for my birthday and I kept saying I'd let him get me something at the next store. Well we stalled him out and he didn't buy anything and we were hungry so we decided to just get dinner at a burger joint called Kua Aina (sooooo good!). He tried to pay but we stepped in and paid for ourselves. Yes! While we were waiting for our food Jojo gets up and leaves. We can't follow him because someone has to wait for the food and we have to stay together. So we ask the waiter if he knows where Jojo went and he points out toward a cake store. So we figure he's probably going to buy me a cake for my birthday and we feel bad because a little cake in Japan costs like $40! Well, he didn't buy me a cake. He's gone for a little while and our food comes and we just sit there waiting for Jojo wondering where he went and how much money he was spending. It was a lot. He came back with this little box and a really nice watch for me! He bought me a watch! Like, the nice kind! The ones that are super shiny and not plastic cheaply stuff! I don't know how much it cost but I was soooo grateful that he would do something like that for me. He's so nice and his heart is so big. He's definitely one of my all time best friends. I also got letters or emails from church members in Kisarazu, previous areas, and lots of family and friends back home. It was just so good and I felt so loved that I actually cried. Like, in the middle of a Seven Eleven parking in the middle of the day. I don't think I've ever been so happy that I've cried before but I did it this year. My companion Elder Smith was a little concerned because when he asked me what was up I just couldn't form the words to respond. So we just sat there while everybody walked past us and I cried in a parking lot. Eventually I pulled myself together and assured him that I was not sad, but actually really happy. That helped him feel better and we were able to go out and work for the day. On my actual birthday we visited Mizuno Shimai, the older sister who lives at the top of a mountain. We rode up there and she fed us and then we shared a message. She's like my Japanese grandma and she's super nice. Then Elder Smith bought me a Black Thunder McFlurry from McDonald's to top it off. We wanted to stop by Takashi's work and say hi to him but he was too far away. However, he booked it to the train station just in time to hop on our train, give me a birthday hug, and jump back off. It was so nice. I have the best friends!
     Some more good news, we've been helping Wenting (Yi Shimai) with her after baptism lessons and we taught her about Patriarchal Blessings. She said she wanted one ASAP and things worked out so perfectly that she was able to get an interview on Sunday and she will be getting her blessing this upcoming Sunday! So excited for her! She also passed the N1 Japanese exam which is the hardest Japanese test ever. So now she can become a nurse! She's unfortunately been unable to pass the test for the past few tries but we fasted and prayed together and this time she passed!
      Takashi also got sustained as an Elder and he received the Melchizedek Priesthood this past Sunday at Stake Conference! He's such a stud. We're helping him prep for the temple so he can go next month for his first time doing baptisms for the dead. He's also taken a couple of days off work here and there so we can hang out with him on Pdays or go proselyte together.
     Then on Sunday we had a huge miracle! Wenting came into church a little bit late and sat by me, which she never does, so something was up. Then she says, "Liu is here!" I don't know if anybody remembers or if I even said it before but Liu is one of Wenting's friends that I was almost able to teach last time I was here about 9 months ago. She had said she wanted to take lessons but was too busy with work at the time so I was unable to teach her. Well, she was at church! When I heard that I was like WHAT?! Where? So Wenting took me to the back so me and Elder Smith could sit next to her. We started explaining a little bit and then decided to just teach her in a separate room because that's what she came there for anyway. So we go into a different room and ask how she got to church and heard this cool story. She woke up and just decided she wanted to go to the mall in Kisarazu. That mall is like almost a 2 hour bus ride away. Anyway, she gets up and starts headed toward the bus stop and Wenting sees her. So Wenting asks where she's going and then invites Liu to come with her to church instead. So Liu says yes and comes to church! And now after a really long time we were able to start teaching her! And she is awesome! First we explained church and then we started teaching about the Restoration. Wenting was missionary-ing it up in Chinese to explain the things she wanted to know more about and it was really cool. She understood everything and really loved church. She wanted to learn more and wanted some scriptures. I remembered that I had bought a triple combination for Tai who unfortunately didn't accept it last time I was here. I had re found it just the other day and knew where it was in the apartment so we ran home, ran back to the church, and gave Liu that triple combination. She wanted it so bad and was jumping and clapping saying, "teach me! Teach me please!" She asked if she could be a member and we were actually the ones to say, "slow down just a second! We have to teach the lessons first!" She was happy with that and said she'd love to learn and then she thinks she'll join! Then I decided we needed to celebrate and so I checked the fridge and there was still the frozen apple pie me and Elder Wilcox bought last time I was here! Wenting had some doubts about it but it's frozen so it was still ok and we all ate the delicious pie together. It was just a huge miracle and blessing from God.
     This week was really just a big series of reminders that God is there and that He really really loves Elder Rogers for some reason. I'm a pretty average missionary so I don't know why but I guess I'm about to die soon so He's letting me die happy!

 Elder Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment