Monday, November 21, 2016

Emotional Roller Coaster (the worst/best day)

Hey everybody,

     This week was pretty normal until yesterday. We had Temple P-Day on Tuesday and it was great. We had a District Meeting and it was all me this week. I didn't assign anyone trainings until last minute so I decided I'd just do all of it. It actually was pretty nice. Everyone learned a lot as we had a nice discussion and it was fun. Next week the Zone Leaders will be coming so that'll be extra fun.
     I'm friends with the English teacher for an International Private School so I called her and asked if she had anything we could help her with and she was like, "Yeah. We have an English debate coming up soon and if you could come listen and judge, maybe give some improvement points, that'd be great." So I thought, "Oh, that's easy. Anyone can do that." So we went and I was wrong. Horribly wrong. I was expecting some Middle/High School Japanese kids who couldn't get Ls and Rs straight to mumble through some debates. Not at all. They compete on the National level and are all fluent. In fact, they started and went back and forth so fast I couldn't keep up with the notes I was supposed to be taking. I was like "Woah! You guys can talk circles around me in my own language!" Then they laughed and continued being smarter than me. For some reason we were invited to come "help" again next week. It was fun but I don't think we were really that much help. I'm grateful for the opportunity to go back though.
     On Saturday we had a concert that all of the missionaries were required to go to because we were invited to sing a song with the guy. I was not very smart and procrastinated memorizing the song until the morning of. Luckily I actually was able to memorize it because I was front and close to the center (I'm short). It was fun. I do not have pictures or a video. Sorry. You just had to be there I guess.
     Now for the emotional roller coaster. I have an investigator. Her name is Yi. Yi is the BEST investigator. She took all of the lessons in 3 days. She is a third of the way done with the Book of Mormon. She comes to church every week. She has been the #1 investigator in the Zone for over a month. She came to church yesterday morning and wanted to talk to me about her baptism. Perfect! "Wait right here, I forgot something. I'll be right back." So I go get said forgotten item for her. It was her birthday and I just so happened to have found a Triple Combination in Chinese. So I bought it and wrapped it up and forgot it in my apartment. So I went home, got it, and came back. I gave it to her and she was very grateful. "Now, what is it about you're baptism?"
      "I can't get baptized next week. And I have to stop coming to church."
      Sacrament starts.
      "Let's talk after church." I got sit down and FLIP OUT for the next 3 hours. What happened!?! Did I do something!? Satan!! I sit there and think about what happened and what I can do to help her for 3 hours and then finally church gets over. I go over and ask her if we can talk for a sec.
      "I understand you have some questions or concerns about getting baptized?"
      She has this big Japanese test coming up in 2 weeks and really needs to pass it or she can't become a nurse. She's failed it a couple of times before so she's really worried and wanted to focus on studying. She also was stressed out and said that if she got baptized now she wouldn't be able to appreciate it as much because she was stressed. But she was also worried what people would think if she changed her baptismal date and wasn't sure what to do. She could get baptized as planned and receive the Holy Ghost to help her with her stress, or she could wait until after her test so she could really appreciate the day. I was ok with either way as long as she got baptized sometime and felt comfortable with it. She was so confused as to what was the right thing for her to do and there was so much going on that we decided there was really only one way to know: pray about it. So we found a quiet room and knelt down together. She said the most heartfelt prayer I've never understood. It was all in Chinese and she said a lot. She was really looking for that answer and I was hoping she would be able to find it, whatever it was. If she had to postpone the chances were that I would be gone and not get to baptize her. Heartbreaking as it was I knew it wasn't about me, it was about what was best for her. So I kept my mouth shut and just accepted whatever would happen. She took a long pause after she finished. Probably 2-3 minutes but it felt like five-ever. Then she looked up at me and said the most beautiful words ever.
      "God really loves me. And you all really love me. And I need to be baptized next week!"
      Higashi Shimai gave her a hug and here were tears and I gave her a firm handshake and then a first bump for good luck. Higashi Shimai brought out a secret birthday/baptism cake and it was the best cake ever. The Zone Leaders walked in and took Yi staging into her baptismal interview, which she passed easily. In fact she made Elder Hirao cry with her testimony and story. Jonivar also passed his interview and the Branch just freaked out. Jonivar has been an investigator for who knows how long and usually those people never get baptized. But not him! He's getting baptized next week! And since there's 2 of them and 2 missionaries, Elder Wilcox will get his first baptism! I'm so excited!!! It was a rough start to the day, but a great finish!

Elder Rogers, the happiest and most blessed missionary ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment