Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Japan is really Chill:)

Hey 皆 (everybody)
    This week has been interesting.  We have been calling a lot of
people lately and talking to literally everyone on the street.  Nobody
gets past us.  Sadly, a lot of people don't seem to care that I'M
OFFERING THEM SALVATION.  Whatever, they have their agency.  There has
been some good stuff happening lately though.  We called one lady and
she told me the usual, "I'm busy right now and pretty much forvever"
but I wasn't having that this time, someone was going to hear the
gospel from me.  So I asked her if I called her back if she would talk
to me then.  She said she would and when I called her again we set up
an appointment to meet on Saturday.  I'll talk more about her later,
but for now on with the rest of the week.
    So we had a zone conference and I got to see lots of other
missionaries.  Moore 長老 (Elder) was there and I got to talk to him for
like 3 minutes!  It was cool.  We learned about how to be better
missionaries but I won't spoil it for you guys.  If you want to know,
the answers are in PMG and the scriptures. ;)  So we've been doing a
lot of もぎs (role plays) lately and they're really fun. We learn how to
better teach each time.  We also taught 英会話 (English class) and that
was great.  I did a self-Introduction but in English this time.  It
was weird.  My name is apparently hard to pronounce so one lady kept
calling me, no lie, Elder Gorgeous.  Not because of my looks but she
just thought that was actually my name.  I told her I was flattered
but that wasn't actually my name.
    We had splits on Thursday with the 川越 (Kawagoe) Elders A and it
was a lot of fun.  I went with my District Leader Elder Turley and he
got to experience a day in the life of ロジャズ長老 (me).  His bike busted
about 5 minutes in and we had to go get it fixed twice.  We asked an
old man for directions to the bike store and tried to teach him a
little about the gospel of Jesus Christ.  He then proceeded to preach
to us the gospel of the Olympic Bike Store.  This went on for about 20
minutes longer than it should have, is taking small steps away from
him the whole time and him following.  Eventually we escaped and got
Turley 長老's bike fixed.  After that we ate dinner and went bike
でんどうing (proselyting).  We talked to everyone and gave out a ton of
flyers and a モルモン書 (Book of Mormon).  It was a tough day but a really
good one.
    On Friday my どうりょう (companion), Elder Lewis, got really sick and
Nagano 姉妹 (sister Nagano) banished us to the apartment.  Before that
we did manage to meet with a lady who was interested in the
discussions and even fed me for free!  Seriously, every time we go
visit older ladies they always feed me specifically for free.  It's
awesome because I'm always hungry.  More importantly though she's
interested!  Yes!  Score for the せんきょうし (missionary)!  While we were
stuck in the apartment we took a nap.  I slept for about two hours and
Lewis 長老 slept until dinner.  I did get to clean up the apartment in
that time and set up my study desk so it was time well used.
    On Saturday we had the もちつき(Mochi making activity) at the church
from 9-1.  That was a lot of fun.  A lot of people came and of course
they fed me.  Someone did give me なっと though.  It's not actually as
bad as everyone says really.  I'm not saying it's my favorite by any
means but it isn't the devil's food either.  After that we had another
もぎ and it went not so bad.
    Now, the moment you may have been waiting for, "what happened
with that lady you called?" I'm glad you asked.  We set up to meet at
the church on Saturday night after she got off from work.  She was
late.  By 3 minutes.  Then 4.  Then 7.  We were just wondering after
about 11ish whether she was coming or not when BOOM!  In she walks and
we just start talking.  She has interest and has met with missionaries
before.  She wants to meet with us more and we had a great どうせき(member
present lesson) with her.  We are looking forward to meeting with her
again and teaching her more.  We're also getting her a Spanish モルモン書
because that's her native language.  I'm excited.
    On Sunday we had ワード大会(ward conference) and it was really cool.
We got pamphlets with the coming unto Christ triangle on it and we
talked about that a lot.  Our bishop talked to us too.  The one who
doesn't actually speak 日本語(Japanese) in Japan.  It was cool because he
showed us a poster for Tomorrowland and talked to us about it.  He
said that this place was great but we could do better.  He then
proceeded to tell us about Zionland and how we needed to start
building it now.  I liked it.  That night we did tutoring for a few
people and the aforementioned bishop gave us a ton of candy.
    Yesterday we visited 高橋姉妹(Sister Takahashi) and 町井兄弟(Brother
Machii) came with us.  町井兄弟 is the man by the way.  He is always there
for us and I love him.  He walked like 3 miles through the snow for
us!  And he's old!  Oh yeah, it snowed here.  Like a lot.  People
drive crazy in the snow so it was pretty あぶたい(dangerous) for us.  No
not that dangerous Mom.  I'm still safe.  It was interesting because
my bike really just doesn't do snow.  So I just did my very best to
not fall off.  I was not 100% successful despite my best efforts but I
was not injured and that dent in the truck will probably pop right
out.  Just kidding.  You can guess which part ;).  We met with a
couple last night.  They're the 森島ふふ (Morishima couple) and they're
きょうかいいん(church members).  We taught them a lesson and showed them a
video, Earthly Father Heavenly Father.  Turns out he's the guy who did
the Japanese voiceover for that video!  Of all the people in Japan!
It was super cool.
    Then we come to today.  Today was supposed to be a temple P-day
but I decided to get sick last night for some reason and sleep in
until 10:30.  Yeah.  :/  So that's that.  Anyway, we took the
opportunity to clean the apartment up a lot and it looks fantastic.
It's never looked this good.  We also got a ton of groceries and
precariously brought them back on our bikes on the icy roads.  Totally
worth it.  Tonight we have a baptism for きみこ姉妹(Sister Kimiko). She's a
79ish year old lady and she's super funny and nice.  I'm actually
going there, right now.  Love all of you guys, I'll send another
letter soon.
"Kimiko's Bapism"
"The Mochitsuki"
"Another view of my area"
"It's snowing"
"My desk and pictures from my family"
"Splits in Yanasegawa.  Turley Choro by himself.  Me and Lee Choro."

No comments:

Post a Comment